Hospo worker’s mental health and COVID-19
Hospo workers and our mental health.
From mid-March 2020, most hospitality workers had lost some or all of their work.
From late-March, industry wide shutdowns for indefinite time periods mean most hospo workers are now out of work.
Due to our insecure, underpaid work, most hospo workers are now reliant on government support to get by.
During this pandemic, we need to look after our and other union members’ mental health more than ever.
The following advice is taken from leading mental health organisations such as Lifeline and Beyond Blue.
At the bottom of this page is links to organisations, numbers to call, and further resources.
Looking after your mental health during the outbreak.
Managing your mental health while in self-isolation or quarantine:
There are a number of ways to support your mental health during periods of self-isolation or quarantine.
- Remind yourself that this is a temporary period of isolation to slow the spread of the virus.
- Remember that your effort is helping others in the community avoid contracting the virus.
- Stay connected with friends, family and colleagues via email, social media, video conferencing or telephone.
- Connect with others via the Beyond Blue forums thread: Coping during the coronavirus outbreak and with Hospo Workers at our Facebook group, which has links to resources and community.
- Engage in healthy activities that you enjoy and find relaxing.
- Keep regular sleep routines and eat healthy foods.
- Try to maintain physical activity.
- Establish routines as best possible and try to view this period as a new experience that can bring health benefits.
- For those working from home, try to maintain a healthy balance by allocating specific work hours, taking regular breaks and, if possible, establishing a dedicated work space.
- Avoid news and social media if you find it distressing.
Online and telephone support
Reputable sources of information:
- Australian Department of Health
- World Health Organisation
- Smart Traveller (information for Australian travellers)
Where to go for support?
- Lifeline – 13 11 14, operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Lifeline Text 0477 13 11 14, operating 6pm – midnight (AEDT), 7 nights a week
- Lifeline webchat will continue to operate 7pm – midnight (AEDT), 7 nights a week
- Kids Helpline – for children that may need support 1800 55 1800
- Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636